Saturday, October 01, 2005

It is amazing how many PHDs worked on Sesame Street. When the show was being designed, they originally separated the grown ups and Muppets to separate fantasy from reality because the "experts" said not to mix the two. They claimed kids could not differentiate between fantasy and reality. In test screenings, the kids got excited when the Muppets were on screen, and were bored when the adults were on. Only when the shows creators went against the "experts" did they fully get the children's attention. Anyone who has seen Sesame Street knows there are a lot of short 2-3 minute segments, and they even experimented by mixing around the elements so there was no coherent storyline. The result? Kids were confused and started to become distracted and eventually left because they realized there was no storyline. We were designed for fantasy, reality and storytelling.

I made a list of some of my favorite movies (in no particular order):
  1. The Incrediables

  2. Pee-wee's Big Adventure

  3. Fight Club

  4. The Abyss: Special Edition

  5. The Princess Bride

  6. Peter Pan (2003)

  7. Spiderman 2

I realized that one common element they all had was they combined reality and fantasy with amazing storytelling (see if you can guess the other related themes). While that is only one part of these amazing movies, it is the combination of those elements which helped make fairy tales and Disneyland so popular. Walt designed Disneyland to tell a story, and to take people into a real fantasy world. Since the beginning of time, stories were told and passed on to generations. Fairy tales are still read to kids, and they thrive on it. It's one of the ways were designed to operate by our Creator. Now I need to watch Tim Burton's Big Fish...

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Huh! Your post gave me a new perspective to the movie Big Fish. I didn't like the movie because the dad seemed immature, but maybe he was mature enough to "live" in fantasy, maybe he just grew up to be a kid.

AJ Harbison said...

I love Fight Club! We want to start one at the Underground... you wanna join???

AJ
<><

Jason Rasmussen said...

I have only seen Big Fish once, but I picked it up for $10 and want to see it again. I know what you mean about the dad, I felt that way a bit too. Some people can get lost in fantasy, and not have their feet planted in reality.

Fight Club club? Ummm.....

Narisilme said...

I could see myself in the character of the father. I think that's why I liked Big Fish so much.

And, of course, The Princess Bride is one of the best movies ever! Hey, Jason, you wanna join The Princess Bride club?

AJ Harbison said...

I initially felt that way about Big Fish, but I had a gf right there who helped me understand...

The father never meant anyone to take his stories seriously. He also understood that seeing his twist on things gives a better reflection of who he is than the real events would.

And it's very much about the son coming to grips with that, and getting past the merely factual.

Plus it's got the crazy-awesome visual aspect and great storytelling...

Jason Rasmussen said...

And you know each person puts their twist on stories. Some for flair, while others embelish. It's those extra elements that make life and stories so much more interesting.

Princess Bride Club? Sure! I'm in! Ever read the book? Wow.