Friday, September 29, 2006

Only in America

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house). According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um, except for well, you know. And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

author unknown

1 comment:

Raelynn Ann said...

I struggle with the imigrant thing. And I wonder how that post can really be accurate... considering they don't really break into your house, usually they are hired by a cleaning agency who you called. In any case, I struggle with it because every branch of my family were imigrants, a couple came here as a safe haven. A couple hundred years ago the poor immigrants were mostly Asian and Irish, they dug holes and built train tracks instead of mowing lawns and cleaning dishes... Americans didn't want them either. After a couple hundred years they have built their way up, and now desire for the new immigrants to go back from where they came.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
-the Statue of Liberty dedication plaque.

On a lighter note. WE ALL MISS YOU! WHERED YOU GO?!?! I don't have your number so hopefully you'll check this. Nov 4th I'm having a V for Vendetta party at the appartment. It would be nice to see you there!! email me: raelynnedgett at gmail dot com (to avoid spammers (@gmail.com)